VAT and Duty: ‘No deal’ Brexit guide for UK businesses trading with EU
We’ve put together a brief ‘no deal’ Brexit guide, summarising the implications and practical considerations for UK businesses trading with the EU, either on a Business to Business (B2B) or Business to Consumer (B2C) basis.
Has your business considered the below?
|Issue||B2B considerations||B2C considerations|
|General||– EORI number needed – to clear goods into EU.
– Is import Duty due on UK purchases, adding to cost price?
– Potential added or even double duty cost (Into UK and then into EU)? Any reliefs?
– Additional Customs documentation needed (including origin and commodity codes) and cost.
– Do contracts/T&C’s allow for revised pricing and changes in VAT/ Duty/ delivery times?
– Are systems set up to cope with any changes?
|Delays in delivery due to change in Customs procedures, affecting:
– Customer delivery expectation
– Perishable goods
|AEO status (or transitional simplified procedures) to speed up processes? This can take 6 months or more for HMRC to approve.
Set up a stock hub in the EU?
– VAT registration/s in EU required.
– Where to set up?
– How long to do this?
|VAT distance selling
The threshold over which VAT registrations are needed in EU countries
|N/A.||– No longer applies – will VAT
registration be required in each
– Set up in the EU and use distance
– Distributer/agent model?
|VAT & Customs Duty – who pays?
– Importing into the EU
|– Depends on responsibility for importation/delivery (incoterms).
– VAT registration/s in EU?
|VAT and Duty is payable on entry.
– Customer: Unexpected cost and
– Seller: VAT registrations?
– Call off stock
– Supply and install
|No longer available – local VAT registrations required.||N/A.|
|Trading through e-market places
– Goods moved into EU
|Local VAT registrations required, need to know movements.|
|Electronic supplies of services||N/A – normal rules apply.||EU Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) not available to UK. Need to register for Non-Union MOSS in an EU Country. Where?|
Whether you or your business needs help with International VAT queries or you are looking for some VAT and Duty support or advice, our team of VAT specialists can help. For further information or guidance, please contact me.
Related news and insights
Subscribe to our newsletters
Our complimentary newsletters and event invitations are designed to provide you with regular updates, insight and guidance.
You can unsubscribe from our email communications at any time by emailing [email protected] or by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link found on all our email newsletters and event invitations.