Coronavirus guidance – Filing deadlines for Company Accounts
Last updated on 3 July 2020
From 27 June 2020, most companies will automatically be granted a 3-month extension to file their accounts. Companies will no longer have to apply for this extension. Points to be aware of:
- This is a temporary provision aimed at relieving some of the burden on businesses during the COVID-19 outbreak. These provisions are effective for deadlines falling due between 27 June 2020 and 5 April 2021.
- No action is required.
- The extension granted applies to the original filing deadline. It will not be added to any filing extension that has already been granted.
- Special rules apply to first periods of account and/or for periods which have been either extended or shortened.
For a typical private limited company, the filing deadline for accounts has been increased to 12 months after the year end.
A company with a 30 December 2019 year end was due to file their accounts by 30 September 2020. Under the new temporary provisions, the company now has until 31 December 2020 to file their accounts.
For a private company the penalty is £150 where the accounts are filed not more than 1 month late increasing to £1,500 where more than 6 months late. The penalties are doubled where accounts are filed late in 2 subsequent years.
Application to extend
Further temporary deadline extensions have also been put in place until 5 April 2021 in respect of certain other forms required to be filed at Companies House. These include:
- Confirmation statements – now 42 days
- Event driven filings – now 42 days
- Mortgage charges – now 31 days
We have experience of this process and can help you with your application. For further information or advice on this area, please contact me.
Subscribe to our newsletters
Our complimentary newsletters and event invitations are designed to provide you with regular updates, insight and guidance.
You can unsubscribe from our email communications at any time by emailing [email protected] or by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link found on all our email newsletters and event invitations.