Landlords are you claiming everything you could be?

Published on 7 February 2017

Share this article

There have been a number of changes to the way in which landlords are being taxed recently, which could be to your advantage. So, it is more important than ever to ensure you are not missing out and you are claiming as many costs and tax reliefs as you can.

One key option is to consider property capital allowances. The general rule behind this is that capital allowances cannot be claimed for capital expenditure used in residential property, as this is not considered to be a qualifying business for this purpose. However, as with most tax rules there are some exceptions.

Where you are letting a House of Multiple Occupancy, it is possible to claim for qualifying costs such as lighting, lifts and electrical systems in the common areas. Common areas used to include rooms such as a kitchen, lounge and communal hallway. However, since 2012 this is no longer possible due to HMRC changing their interpretation of what is considered part of a residential property. This now means that only qualifying items in hallways and similar areas will be eligible for a capital allowances claim.

If you are already letting or planning on letting a Furnished Holiday Let (FHL) then it is possible to push this claim further. FHL properties are considered to be business premises for capital allowances purposes and therefore any qualifying items situated in these properties, whether items integral to the property such as lighting or furniture, can be subject to a claim.

Additionally, when you purchase a new FHL, it may be possible to claim for capital allowances on a proportion of the purchase price. Specialist surveyors will be able to assist you with ascertaining whether or not this is a viable option for your property.

In conclusion, whilst capital allowances are a good way of reducing your profits on capital expenditure you might not necessarily get relief for, the extent to which a claim can be made is very restricted. Whatever your individual circumstances, it is important that you make the most of any allowances and tax reliefs you can. If you think you may be eligible for claiming these reliefs, it is worth speaking to a professional advisor to benefit from allowances which you may not know are available.

Please contact Jo if you would like more information on how these changes may affect you.

We periodically send out complimentary property and construction newsletters, click here to receive yours.

Share this article

Subscribe to our newsletters

Our complimentary newsletters and event invitations are designed to provide you with regular updates, insight and guidance.

    • Business, finance and tax issuesPersonal finance, tax, legal and wealth management issuesInternational business issuesCharity and not-for-profit issues

    • Academies and educationAgricultureFinancial servicesLife sciencesManufacturingProfessional practicesProperty and constructionTechnology

    • yes I agree I have read and accept the privacy policy and am happy for Kreston Reeves email communications I have selected above

    You can unsubscribe from our email communications at any time by emailing [email protected] or by clicking the 'unsubscribe' link found on all our email newsletters and event invitations.