Our commitment to Corporate and Social Responsibility
One of the Firm’s principal values is “Good citizenship”. We therefore aim to blend our long business experience with a contemporary business mentality. We act for clients of all sizes from a wide range of business sectors and recognise that the advice we provide, and the way we operate, has an impact on a variety of stakeholder groups.
The firm has an active Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) programme, led by a Partner, James Peach. Our CSR programme and policies are focused around four stakeholder groups; Our clients; Our local community; Our environment; and Our staff.
To view some of our recent CSR work please click here.
As members of the accounting profession, the partners of Kreston Reeves are actively endorsing the ICAEW’s support for the UN’s Global Goals for Sustainable Development. To find out more, read below.
The firm’s CSR programme is reviewed regularly.
Kreston Reeves on Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge 2016
At Kreston Reeves we have built our business on the basic principles of trust, loyalty and commitment to our clients. We apply the same principles in all our dealings with business contacts and the people who choose to pursue a career with us.
Today, we believe that it is no coincidence that the consistent application of those principles has formed the basis of long term relationships with our clients and many of the contacts we meet in the course of conducting our business. We try to exceed our clients’ expectations and have a ‘Client Charter’ in place which helps us strive to provide clients with a first class, efficient, caring and continuing professional service. For more details of our Client Charter please see our Client Charter page.
We're proud to announce that we have been accredited with ‘Exceptional Client Service’ in a recent client care survey provided by Investors in Customers (IIC).
IICs’ analysis of the survey benchmarked our services against other professional services firms, and commercial companies in the form of a 1, 2 or 3 star rating. We're delighted to have been accredited with a 3 star rating which is a significant achievement with fewer than 15% of organisations achieving this rating at their first attempt. To learn more click here.
Our local community
- Every year each Kreston Reeves office supports a different local charity, chosen by staff. Charities we currently support include Friends of Mental Health (East Kent), Macmillan Cancer Care, The Garden Gate Project (Margate), Caring Hands, Chestnut Tree House, Worthing Churches Homeless Projects, St Catherine's Hospice, Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance Trust, Children with Cancer Fund, and St Luke’s Community Centre. Charity fundraising efforts include: The Three Peaks Challenge, bake sales, raffles and dress-down days.
- We provide professional advice to local charities free of charge or at a discounted rate.
- Each year Kreston Reeves provides work experience for approximately 15 students from local schools and colleges. We have also taken on foreign students for up to 12 weeks of work experience.
- All partners and staff are encouraged to take up community roles, whether as trustees of local charities, school governors or as committed volunteers. With over 100 staff members have or have had a recently held position of responsibility in schools, charities or other voluntary activities.
- Kreston Reeves supports students who excel, and in 2014 presented a cash prize to a University of Kent student who achieved the highest employability points. Individuals and the Firm as a whole support various Chambers of Commerce and Trade.
- More than 50% of our suppliers are local to us.
- Office snacks and sweets are provided by local charities (Tuck by Truck and Great Ormond Street).
We have implemented the following changes to help us reduce our impact upon the environment:
Use of paper
- Increased use of email and online media rather than paper-based communications.
- In-house design and use of software enabling PC users to edit and approve letters ‘on screen’. This avoids draft copies being printed on paper.
- Minimising the paper-based information retained on client files.
- Letterhead is made from elemental chlorine free pulp which is obtained from sustainable wood forests. Our largest volume print item is produced on 100% recycled stock.
- Adopting smaller formats for printed materials.
- Printing double sided documents where possible.
- Making every effort to recycle waste including paper, cardboard, metal and plastic.
- All paper is treated as confidential waste and shredded before being sent for recycling.
- Ensuring that hazardous waste is disposed of appropriately.
- All redundant IT equipment is either donated to local charities or disposed of complying with the WEEE directive.
- Car sharing is actively encouraged throughout the firm. At our head office, priority parking is offered to those who are prepared to car share.
- Cycling and walking are encouraged wherever possible.
- New technology is used to reduce electricity consumption of computers.
- Energy efficient light bulbs are used.
- Energy efficient heating is used.
- Appliances are configured to reduce water usage.
- Staff are encouraged to turn off electrical items when not in use.
- Environmental criteria are taken into account in the procurement of goods and services.
- Fairtrade and ecologically friendly alternatives are used wherever possible.
- Local suppliers are used wherever practicable to do so.
- We aim to pay suppliers within 14 days from Kreston Reeves receiving their invoices.
In addition to the above, we also aim to:
- Assess the environmental impact of all past, current and future operations and fully integrate these considerations and objectives into its business decisions.
- Communicate this policy to members of staff, and consult with them to ensure that they take an active role in its implementation and review.
We have core values in place which specify that:
- We treat all individuals within the Firm with honesty and respect.
- We consistently strive to develop all our people to the full, to be individuals of high regard in their community.
- We continually develop the range and depth of our own skills to service our clients and support our colleagues.
Although the firm is always open to ideas, there is also a staff forum which meets four times a year whereby members of staff are encouraged to put forward any ideas or suggestions and also have the chance to ask questions through nominated representatives.
Kreston Reeves has a Sports and Social committee which organises social events for staff. These include an annual car rally, an annual quiz and a Christmas party, as well as inter-office football and netball tournaments.
In 2015 Kreston Reeves completed a Firmwide survey to help develop a CSR Programme, which aligns the staff's wishes and enthusiasm. The results of this survey can be found here and will be reflected in the Firm's future CSR activities.
The UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development aim to transform our world by 2030.
We are endorsing the ICAEW’s support for these goals by choosing 4 of the 17 goals upon which our firm can focus our efforts.
Our four focal issues can be seen below. In the course of 2018/19 we will look to arrange CSR activities which align with these goals, as defined by our staff. For more information on the ICAEW’s support for all 17 goals, please click here.